Thursday, September 27, 2012

How I Eat Lactose Free


As I have mentioned before when I wrote about my diet, I stay away from heavy lactose foods. Most people with Crohn’s are lactose intolerant. Actually, I think a lot of people are in general to some degree.

When I was first diagnosed, I thought to myself, OMG, no more cereal, ice cream or cheese ever again?? But that is not true! There are ways around this to eat yummy dairy foods without lactose or getting an upset tummy. However, it all depends on the person too. Some tolerate more lactose than others.

Dairy foods that I CAN eat include:
Frozen yogurt
Eggs
Lactose free milk (Great Value at Walmart is the best!)
Most hard cheeses like swiss, sharp cheddar, mozzarella, goat cheese etc
I do fine with grated cheese on my tacos

And Dairy foods that I do NOT tolerate include:
Regular milk
Ice cream
Velveeta
Any kind of queso or liquid cheese like at Mexican restaurants- this is the worst!
Mac and cheese
Cheesy pastas at Italian restaurants
Cheesy garlic bread-this upset me terribly because of the cheese and butter smothered all over the bread!
Probably cheesecake, but I have not tried this in a long time.

The two “substitutes” I was most excited about to discover were frozen yogurt since I cannot eat ice cream and Great Value Lactose Free Milk. Love them!

Seriously, the lactose free milk tastes no different than regular milk. I think it tastes even better and it lasts longer than regular milk! We buy reduced fat or 2 percent. J Yum. I can eat cereal all I want. Of course it depends on the cereal, because certain cereals upset my tummy too. Corn Flakes and Cheerios are pretty safe for a Crohn’s tummy.

Recently, I bought this carton of frozen yogurt at Wal-Mart. It is really yummy and tastes juts like vanilla ice cream. This brand has different flavors of frozen yogurt too!

Health food grocery stores usually have lactose free ice cream that I have tried. Its okay, it just doesn’t taste all that great. But it is better than nothing! 

 Oh! And I also found these frozen yogurt fudge bars at Wal-Mart too! My husband even loved these. They taste just as good as regular fudge bars!



Please let me know if you know of any other great lactose free foods! I'm always looking for something new to try, because who doesn't love dairy? :) 










7 comments:

  1. I have a true milk allergy - so no milk proteins of any kind. When it comes to frozen treats, I've found the coconut-milk "ice cream" by so-delicious is pretty good.

    It's a bit spendy, but for my cereal I like hemp-milk. It has the right consistency and is nutritionally loaded.

    Otherwise, I've learned to just leave the milk out. I find a good taco is better with no cheese than with substitute cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of this that people can have a milk allergy. I hope I never develop this, because I like milk products so much. I'm sorry to hear you have this. This diet would not work for you then! :( I'm glad you have found some substitutes.

    And yes, I have tried the So-Delicious ice cream. It is a pretty good substitute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am pretty fond of soy based stuff. I don't drink milk anymore... not because I have an allergy or anything, but mainly because I am a crazy lady who thinks cows being milked for their whole lives is sad. I drink soy milk. Have you ever tried the vegan cheeses? Would those hurt your stomach? I have heard that some of them taste pretty good, but they aren't cheese at all. I think they are made from rice??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have a dairy allergy on top of the Crohn's. I have been craving Cheesecake for years and I figured I'd make it myself! Tofutti is an awesome Diary-Free brand you can get at Shop Rite and I would assume any other grocery store. I just used Tofutti cream cheese instead of regular and it came out just as awesome! I didn't even notice the difference in taste. it could be because I haven't had cheesecake in years! It's also not hard to make :) If I'd known that, I would have started making it a long time ago!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh man, I might have to try to make this cheesecake with that ingredient. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had great success with hard cheeses, and with yogurt. Unfortunately, milk and ice cream are generally out. I have been able to tolerate small amounts as a condiment (e.g. milk in my tea), but not much.

    http://evidencebasedibd.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a great blog, i really enjoyed reading this, good luck in your work. Garcinia Cambogia Singapore

    ReplyDelete