Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Tea for the Tummy



There are all kinds of teas-black, white, herbal, caffeinated, non-caffeinated, green and many more. Teas also serve many different purposes from weight loss to relaxation from a long day.

There are also teas that are soothing for the tummy. When I feel bloated, crampy or just need to relax, I warm up some water in the microwave and drink either Celstial Seasonings peppermint or chamomile tea.
 


Another favorite of mine is honey vanilla chamomile. It has a little more flavor!

Peppermint and chamomile teas are classified as herbal teas, which are very good for you!

“Herbal teas made with peppermint and chamomile may aid in relieving gas pain, flatulence due to Crohn's disease as well as improving the overall health of your digestive system. The menthol found in peppermint tea soothes the muscles in the digestive tract by producing antispasmodic effects. In addition, peppermint tea may help to calm a nervous stomach and relieve stomach pain. Chamomile is commonly used for its antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties. These properties help with digestion and alleviating flatulence (www.livestrong.com)”

Before I was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease, I was a coffee drinker. I love the smell and taste of coffee-especially with creamer and Splenda. I do miss it sometimes. And I have to admit, every now and then on a “good Crohn’s day” I will have half a cup just to satisfy my craving.

My husband and I received a beautiful coffee maker as a wedding gift. It makes me sad that I can’t use it for myself more, but I am happy getting to make coffee for him or guests just so I can have the aroma of coffee throughout our apartment. J

Overtime, I have come to crave tea just as much. And it has been a better substitute, because it makes me feel better and it is good for you!

I always add some Splenda to give it more flavor, and sometimes I add a little bit of lactose free milk to make it a little creamy. Yum!

The other day I was at Whole Foods grocery store and saw a probiotic tea. That could be a good one too. I will have to check into that!

If you know of any other good teas for the tummy, let me know! 

2 comments:

  1. I am trying to make the switch from coffee to tea. Some days are more successful than others. I have a ginger green tea that tastes great, but I'm not sure how it is for the stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Fennel Tea is very good for Crohn's. I tried making some today, but I made it wrong. I will try again tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete