Monday, September 3, 2012

College Football and the Start of Cimzia



Labor Day weekend marks the start of college football!

This is my husband and I at the first Oklahoma State Football game where we destroyed Savannah State. As you can see, we got tickets to the VIP suites, thanks to my company Chesapeake Energy. This was the best way to watch football-air conditioning, free food, comfy seats, and....easy access to the most beautiful restrooms!

I should have taken a photo of these VIP restrooms. There was never a line, the doors were a beautiful solid dark wood, there were soft thick paper towels to wipe your hands on, and hair care supplies! For a girl with a digestive disease, everywhere I go-especially big events like football games- I always think about the restrooms.

Where are they located? Will there be a line? How nice are they? Can I get to them easily?

Thankfully, I did not have to use this restroom that much. I did pretty well on Saturday with my symptoms. This was such a relief, because when I am in a flare it can be a little nerve wracking to spend a whole day tailgating and attending a game. I never know what my stomach is going to do-it has a mind of it's own. I knew it would be a long hot day (over 100 degrees!) in Stillwater, Okla., so I drank plenty of water and planned to eat chicken-no burgers or hot dogs! Healthy eating is key when managing a digestive disease-especially during a flare.

It might seem like it would suck not getting to gorge myself with greasy college football food and beer for a whole Saturday. But, honestly it is worth it to spend a day with my husband watching my Alma mater feeling good.

Unfortunately, because of the intense heat during the day it triggered a terrible terrible migraine by the end of the day. On our drive home to the city, I had Isaac's t-shirt over my face to block out car lights. We got home, and I immediately took a Lortab. I slept like a baby that night. I think we both did. Going to a football game can wear anyone out!

Isaac and I talked about if we would ever get season tickets. And, we decided we would not. We both enjoy the comfort of our own couch, air conditioning and flat screen TV too much. Going to football games are super fun, but they can be such a huge event! They are most fun when we are actually playing a good team. :)

On another note- I got my Cimzia Starter Pack in the mail Friday.

The Cimzia Starter Pack comes with six syringes. I am supposed to inject myself with two shots every two weeks for the first six weeks. Then I am supposed to order more syringes, and from there I inject myself with only one shot every two weeks.

I could not start my injections this weekend, because I have to take a TB test before starting Cimzia. So on Tuesday, I will take my TB test at my general practitioner's office and return on Thursday for them to check if the test is positive or negative. Hopefully, negative. After Thursday, I call my Cimzia case nurse Deborah and she will come to my apartment to teach me how to inject my new drug.

Deborah sounds nice on the phone. She says injecting yourself is no big deal, and she has taught 6-year-old kids how to inject themselves.

Starting a new drug like this is a very long process. I have high hopes this is the drug for me. I hope it will bring me to remission!

My doctor says it could take up to three months to really notice any results. It sure does take awhile to get into my system. I'm curious how long it took for other Cimzia patients to notice results? And did it lead you to remission?

No comments:

Post a Comment