Monday, August 27, 2012

Turkey Bacon, Scrambled Eggs and Heart-Shaped Waffles



The husband and I had one of those weekends-so freaking lazy. It was perfect and awesome. We needed it. Or at least I did. With all that has been going on with my body lately-loss of blood, weight loss, extreme tiredness and extremely inflamed intestines-it can make this little girl pooped out! My body just needed to rest.

We slept in Saturday morning and made the most amazing breakfast we have ever made in our kitchen-Turkey bacon (because real bacon and the grease upsets my stomach), scrambled eggs and the cutest heart-shaped waffles (Isaac bought me the heart-shaped waffle maker our first valentines day together). We also brewed a pot of coffee in our brand new coffee maker (wedding gift!) only to have the smell of coffee throughout our one-bedroom apartment. I love coffee, but I can’t drink it often because it also upsets me stomach.

For a Crohn’s patient, caffeine, alcohol and fatty foods are big triggers to stomach pains. Sometimes, I will put them in my diet if I am having a “good day.” 

We watched a plethora of movies this weekend: Aliens (one of Isaac’s favs), Bridesmaids (so awkward!), The Lucky One (ehh, not one of Nicholas Spark’s best), and some Lifetime movies that were on TV. What would a girl do without the Lifetime channel?? Those movies just seem to draw me in and before I know it, it’s been two hours!

I didn’t have a whole lot of energy this weekend, because Prednisone is causing my heart rate to be crazy, which then makes me very tired. Sometimes I feel like I have a hard time breathing.

Late Saturday night, I had horrible bloating and sharp pains in my gut again. I was so tense from the pain that it cause me to become very anxious. My heart rate went up, tightness in my chest and it was hard to breath. We considered going to the ER, but once I took a Xanax, drank some Chamomile tea and took a hot shower to ease the pain and relax me, I felt better.

When I have Crohn’s pain, it is very hard to relax. It is hard to think straight. It is hard to assess my body.

Sunday I felt pretty good all day. I was all ready to crawl into bed just before 10 pm to get a good night sleep when BAM! I had to run to the bathroom. For the next 2 hours, I was stuck in the bathroom with terrible diarrhea and aches and pains through out my lower back and abdomen. It literally feels like my intestines are being twisted raw. Finally around midnight, I fell asleep with a heating pad wrapped around me.

Good news today! I received a call from the drug company Cimzia, which is the new drug I am supposed to start soon. It has been finally approved through my insurance. I will be receiving calls this week about delivery of the drug (I have to be available to sign for it and receive it, because it has to be refrigerated), and scheduling a time with a nurse for education on how to inject it.

This is what I found out about Cimzia so far:
·         For the first 6 weeks, I will administer two injections at once every 2 weeks.
·         Starting on week 6, I will administer one injection every two weeks. That will be two injections per month.
·         The injections are delivered in kits. 1 kit includes two injections.
·         My co-pay for one kit is $70. However, Cimzia will be providing me with a $500 co-pay card to cover most of the costs. Not bad!
·         Online it says I need to get a TB test before….I will need to ask my nurse about that. No one has said anything to me about a TB test yet.
·         Common side effects include:
o   Irritation at the injection site
o   Joint pain
o   Upper respiratory tract infections (the drug lowers your immune system)
o   Urinary tract infections (these are so painful!)

My doctor told me that it may take up to 3 months to really notice a different and see if the drug is working! Dang. I hope I do not have to be on Prednisone that long.

All in all, I am excited to start Cimzia. I am ready to see if it will settle my inflammation and hopefully lead me to a time of remission! 

1 comment: