Friday, October 25, 2013

I'll Buy You Rogaine When You Start Losing All Your Hair


In Ingrid Michaelson's song "The Way I Am," she sings about growing old with your spouse. When she sings the line "I'll buy you Rogaine when you start losing all your hair," most envision an older woman buying her balding husband Rogaine. So sweet huh? 

Last week, my sweet, young husband bought ME, his young wife, Rogaine for my hair! Never would have thought this day would come...and so soon. 

Last month, I wrote about experiencing hair loss and speculating that my Crohn's drugs were the reason. However, I decided to go see a dermatologist a few weeks ago about my increasing hair loss, and she revealed some interesting findings. 

I have been losing handfuls (way too many) of hair in the shower and when I brush or run my fingers through my hair. My husband also had noticed that my hairline seemed to be receding. On the sides, my hairline appeared to be balding. Ugh! I could feel a significant different in the thickness of my ponytail as well. Very depressing and very worrisome for a young woman like myself. 

Sidenote: Don't ever tell a women that hair loss is no big deal or that she still looks beautiful. It IS a big deal - especially to a woman.

I have been taking hair vitamins (Biotin) and started using Nioxin shampoo, which helps hair grow back. I didn't seem to notice much of an improvement yet. 

When I saw the dermatologist, she looked over my medications and ask how my health has been these last few months. When I told her about my horrid Steven Johnson reaction three months ago that led to a 3-week-long fever, she said, "that's it!." 

When the body goes through a high-stress event, like a high fever for many weeks, the scalp can shed quite a bit of hair for the three to six months following the stressful event. Other physical stressors that cause this can be pregnancy/giving birth, switching medications, birth control, pneumonia or other health illnesses. For more information visit, http://www.webmd.com/beauty/hair-health-11/hair-stress-effect?page=1

So, it all makes sense now. I had a strong allergic reaction to a drug three months ago which led to a high-fever for nearly three weeks which ultimately led to intense hair loss for these last three months. This is hopeful for me! The doctor told me that within three to six months, my hair should stop falling out so much, and within six months to a year, it should all grow back. 

She also encouraged me to continue taking my hair vitamins and to try using Rogaine near my hairline in the balding spots. Good news is my co-worker noticed that I have many baby hairs growing back in my hairline! 

It's crazy how that one antibiotic I took back in July (Sulfameth) can have such an affect. And honestly, I'm a lucky one. It really could have been so much worse. Steven Johnson syndrome can kill people and cause so much more damage that just a fever and temporary hair loss. I'm very grateful and blessed. 







No comments:

Post a Comment