Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Healthy Fall Slow-Cooker Chicken Stew

This week, my husband and I made the perfect healthy, fall, crockpot chicken stew with a side of baked french bread. We even ate it at the table with a pumpkin as the center piece just to envelop us in the season of fall.

Click this link to find the recipe and try it yourself. Healthy Fall Slow-Cooker Chicken Stew

This recipe is perfect for someone with tummy troubles like inflammatory bowel disease. Very low fat. Instead of regular bacon for flavor, I used turkey bacon. All the veggies were soft as baby food and easy to digest. And the meat was extra lean. Pair your hot bowl of stew with some french bread, and you have a calm, satisfied tummy.

Two years ago when I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease, I was not smooth in the kitchen. Actually, my version of cooking was whipping up some Kraft mac-n-cheese. ha. When I realized that I could help my Crohn's symptoms and my health by drastically adjusting my diet and learning to cook Crohn's- friendly foods, I jumped right in.

However, learning to change my diet and learning to cook has been a process. It is a process I have had to be patient with. At times, my meals just plain stink. They don't turn out how I envisioned or how the photo looked online. And sometimes, I succeed - like this week with my chicken stew. Learning how to cook for my stomach is a long process of trial and error. I don't usually like trial and error, because I am impatient and want good food now. But that's not reality.

I may never be a master chef in the kitchen, but I do know that with some patience and an open-mind, anyone can learn to cook delicious, healthy meals that keep the stomach happy. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment