Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Let's Talk Money


Since it is the beginning of a new year, health insurance went up, more money is being taken out of everyone’s paychecks due to taxes, and prescriptions had to be re-ordered for me-of course those prices went up as well.

Money. Living costs money. Money can be a blessing and stressful all at the same time.

It is said that money is one of the main causes of conflict in marriage and reason for divorce. Divorce is not an option for us, but it definitely can and has been a source of tension at times.

It takes a while to figure out how we both want to spend out money, budget and how we handle the unexpected financial issues. We may disagree sometimes. We work it out. It’s definitely been hard for me, because I like to control where my money goes. But my money is not just mine now, it is ours and God’s.

I am a lover of budgeting. I love to keep a budget spreadsheet, and I LOVE to stick to it. But we all know that rarely happens that you stick to it to precisely, because life happens and things come up. I try to plan for the unexpected, but I just can’t.

I had no idea 2 of my main prescriptions I take for my Crohn’s disease would go up from 40 dollars a month to 70 dollars a month.  You wouldn’t think 60 dollars a month extra would make a difference, but with all other prescriptions I pay for a month plus doctor’s appointments, it just adds up. And I don’t like it.

Thankfully, I spoke with my doctor’s office about the increase, and they are going to give me samples each month for one drug as long as they can. They agreed to do this, because the plan is that sometime this year I will try to get off this drug since I have been on Cimzia (the shot) for a while now. I shouldn’t need to be on both, but it can take a while to wean my system off drugs it has been on for a long time. 

I love to save money-especially with medical expenses. Although my health is important, we are young, and I want to spend our money on other things.

Sometimes I feel guilty for spending money on my medical expenses-because I have more medical expenses than most my age and more than Isaac. So, I feel bad for a certain amount of our budget going towards my medical expenses. I know I shouldn’t, because we do not want me to be sick. It is just something I am working on. I have to remind myself that my health is worth it.

Speaking of expenses, our sweet little morkie Izzy is having a stubborn baby tooth pulled next week. She is nearly 2 years old, and her last little baby tooth is jammed in there with her adult tooth and it will not fall out on its own. This can create tooth decay and health problems for our babydoll. So, it must be pulled. Of course, this will cost us 250 dollars. So, high maintenance she is. J

1 comment:

  1. Awe poor Izzy! I've always thought that spending money on dogs is the worst.

    ReplyDelete