Friday, August 24, 2012


The Week of Magnesium Citrate and Migraines…Ugh!

Who else is glad that it is Friday?! Well, I ended my week with a bang by drinking a whole bottle of Magnesium Citrate (cherry flavored J yum) last night. Why would I do that? Why would I empty my entire bowel system and have my bum be so raw it hurts to sit? Honestly, I can say it was worth it, because I was this close to going to the ER instead.

A few days ago, I started noticing that I was really bloated and it wasn’t going away. Wednesday night after I ate dinner, I was so bloated and crampy that I felt like my gut was going to pop like a balloon or I had a baby growing inside me. Usually when I get these intense sharp cramp pains, which is part of Crohn’s, I take a drug called Bentyl and it works pretty well. This time it did nothing. I lay on my couch for 3 hours with a heating pad while my sweet husband brought me chamomile honey tea with milk - just how I like it. Finally, the pain somewhat subsided and I was able to go to bed.

Then, suddenly I woke up at 3:30 in the morning to the most intense stabbing pain in the middle of my guy right above my belly button I have ever had. I had never experienced this pain in my tummy before. No position helped, not even the fetal position! Breathing hurt.

I immediately grabbed my phone and started doing some research (and by research I mean some obsessive “Googling”). I was sure that I was having a bowel obstruction. Since the ER is so expensive and it hurt to move out of bed, I decided to try taking a Lortab to see if that would ease the pain, and it worked well.
Of course, I didn’t make it to work till around 10 am due to the loopiness from the Lortab. Gotta love that stuff J
I called my GI doctor’s office that morning. The nurse said that I was on the brink of most likely having a bowel obstruction and that if I EVER experience that pain again to go to the ER. She said when I get home from work to immediately drink a whole bottle of Magnesium Citrate to unplug my system.

While I was checking out at Walgreens where I spend so much of my time, the register guy stared at the cherry bottle, gave me a pathetic look and said try to have a good night. Ha!

So, I went home, drank the bottle, prepared my bathroom with Preparation H wipes, Tucks ointment and a good book on my iPad, and waited.

It is now the next day, and I can say I am completely empty, starving and felt like I lost 10 pounds. No more bloating or pain. So worth it!

Good thing my husband did not need to use the restroom last night! We currently live in a one bedroom apartment with one bathroom. I like our quaint, cozy apartment, but it can be a challenge having only one bathroom when someone like me needs the bathroom more often than most. Poor husband, someday he will have his own “man room,” and not a “man corner,” and his own “man bathroom.”

The thing I forgot to do after drinking that cherry bottle was drink a lot of water. I ended up becoming dehydrated, which triggered a terrible migraine.

Note to self: Always drink water when I plan to empty myself! 

I also suffer from migraines. Can I get a holler for those of you who suffer from those?? I know many people can relate to me on that level!

I think that since I got back on the Prednisone, which is a steroid, my headaches have gotten worse. They are almost daily. Darn you Prednisone.

I tried the generic of Imitrex the other night, but I had a bad reaction. I’m not sure if it was the Imitrex itself or the mixture of Imitrex and Prednisone. Imitrex is the only migraine drug out there that currently has a generic. All the other ones are so freaking expensive.

Has anyone else found any other forms of relief for migraines? Any home remedies that I need to try? Do share!

5 comments:

  1. Migraines are a new (unwelcome) friend of mine since having Asa. I just bought a holistic medicine book so I could explore what vitamins I could take to prevent them. I am hoping that something natural will work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well share with me what you discover! Mixing pills right now and trying new things scares me a bit. I have had one too many run ins with bad drug mixtures. But I hate these headaches! Miserable I tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Migraines will zap your strength and motivation faster than just about anything else. I used Imitrex for a while, but it stopped working. I just saw the doc today who prescribed a new med, so we'll see how that works. She also suggested that there are preventative meds out there that you take daily for a while. Another suggestion she made was seeing a neurologist. Other than that, the biggest things that have helped me have been recognizing my triggers (stress), and doing everything I can to minimize them. And if a feel a migraine coming on, taking my meds as soon as possible really helps reduce the strength/length of it. That probably doesn't help, but I hope you have better luck with them.
    -Laura Geczy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh. I, too, have the Crohn's/Migraine combination. I've had chronic migraines for 20 years, sometimes up to 5 or 6 days a week. I only found out about the Crohn's this year when I was hospitalized for it in March. I know a lot about migraine, but am just starting to learn about Crohn's. I'm taking a drug called Asacol for it, which doesn't make it go away 100%, but I've only had one major flare since March. Unfortunately, it happened while camping at a festival held in a fairgrounds with less than stellar facilities.

    Anyway, thanks for the posts you've been sharing. I don't know anyone else with Crohn's and it's been helpful to read your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caedmon-I'm so sorry to hear you were recently diagnosed with Crohns. I have yet to be hospitalized for my Crohn's (knock on wood). The migraine thing is kinda new to me. I can usually tell when they are about to come on, and I hate them. I can't do anything, and I get really bitchy. My doctor has given me a couple samples of a drug called Maxalt recently, and that seems to help my migrains. However, the drug is very expensive! I have yet to get the prescription.

    Keep reading my posts! I am in the midst of learning about Crohns and experiencing it daily right now due to being a flare. Writing about it is helping me deal with it. :) Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete