Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Did the Flu Shot Give Me the Flu?

My husband and I both have contracted what we believe is the flu. No, we have no visited a doctor, but it's pretty easy to detect the flu - fever, runny and stuffy nose, congestion, dry cough, headache and body aches. We both started feeling sick on the same day too.

So, who caught it from who?

About 3 weeks ago, I received my annual flu shot like the good girl that I am. Isaac did not. Isaac has never gotten a flu shot and says he never gets the flu - until now. Looking back on my childhood, I always got the flu at least once a year. Although, I don't seem to get the flu as much not that I am in my twenties.

This article has been trending Facebook telling readers 11 reasons you should not get the flu shot. Our sickness and this article created dialogue between my husband and I that got me thinking. Did the flu shot give me the flu, thus giving the flu to Isaac? Should I continue getting a flu shot?

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (The CDC) provides this FAQ page about the flu shot. What I got from this is that the flu shot is altered every season by scientists making an estimated prediction as to what types of flu will be most "popular" in communities. The flu shot does not protect against all types of colds and flu viruses, only those that are predicted to be most common. So, yes you can get sick and have other flu-like viruses even after getting the flu shot.

The CDC says that those who are most vulnerable are those with lowered immune systems, babies and the elderly. However, they suggest that everyone receive the seasonal flu shot.

I have a lowered immune system due to the immunosuppressant injection (Cimzia) I take bi-monthly for my Crohn's disease. uh oh.

The Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA) supports the CDC by encouraging all inflammatory bowel disease patients, especially those who are taking immunosuppressant drugs, to get a flu shot. The CCFA's website also says that the flu shot will protect individuals from common strains of flu viruses - only the most common ones.

Like the trending Facebook article talks about, it is true that the flu shot puts a little bit of the virus in your body to help your body become immune to the common spreading virus. However according to www.cdc.gov:

No, a flu shot cannot cause flu illness. Flu vaccines that are administered with a needle are currently made in two ways: the vaccine is made either with a) flu vaccine viruses that have been 'inactivated' and are therefore not infectious, or b) with no flu vaccine viruses at all (which is the case for recombinant influenza vaccine). The most common side effects from the influenza shot are soreness, redness, tenderness or swelling where the shot was given. Low-grade fever, headache and muscle aches also may occur.

The most interesting fact I found on the CDC's webpage was their blunt confession that "unfortunately the flu vaccine does not always provide adequate protection against the flu. This is more likely to occur among people with weakened immune systems or people age 65 and older."

So basically, the flu shot is not something to bank on nor, in my opinion, is it a complete waste of time. I believe it is better than nothing, but no it doesn't always work. And it does not keep you safe from all flu viruses across the board. 

Truly, the best ways to stay safe from viruses in general is to:

Wash your hands regularly

Stay away from other sick people. Maybe walk around with a mask on from November till May...jk, but seriously. 

Take vitamins that help build a strong immune system

Do what you can to built up your immune system. Our bodies are intricately complex and designed to fight internal battles. But we must supply the tools and nutrients it needs for those battles.

What do you think? I'd love to hear other's view on getting the flu shot - especially those with chronic illnesses.






1 comment:

  1. We are anti-flu shot. I just think there is some sketchy stuff in there... and all vaccines, really. Just not a fan of putting the unknown into us. I would rather let our bodies take care of things on their own. That being said, I can see how it is different for you having a chronic illness. If I were in that situation, I might rethink my decision.

    ReplyDelete