Friday, July 26, 2013

I'm the Lucky One - My Struggle with Steven Johnson Syndrome

In my last post, I wrote about my perianal abscess. I had been given an antibiotic, Sulfameth, to help with my infected abscess. About a week later, I started getting real sick. I was having an adverse reaction to my antibiotic, which was called Steven Johnson Syndrome (SJS).

SJS is a rare, life-threatening condition that is brought on by a severe reaction to a medication. The family of drugs that caused my reaction are sulfa dugs. Basically, what can happen to the body is the human skins starts literally burning from the inside out, and it can spread rapidly. It causes flu-like symptoms, and a reddish, purple rash that can spread all over your body including the eyes and mouth. If it spreads to the eyes, patients can go blind. Many patients are admitted and treated in the burn unit in the ICU due to the outer layer of skin falling off.

Thankfully (and I am so so thankful), we caught mine early and mine did not progress as far as it could have. I feel by God's grace my life and future were spared. For the first time in my life, I do not feel like a victim of an illness but so blessed and protected from what could have been. 

On Monday (day 6 of taking the antibiotic), I woke up with an intense headache that continued all day long. I began just not feeling well that day. The next morning, I woke up around 5 am feeling very nauseated, and by 6 am I was vomiting bile and blood. A couple hours later, I noticed large purple and reddish welts all over my face. It looked like blood splattered and stained on my skin. At that point, I knew something was wrong. 

My husband took me to an emergency doctor's appointment with my primary care physician. By that point, my lips and tongue were swollen and numb feeling. She diagnosed me with SJS. This was the first time I had heard of this syndrome. She told me to tell everyone I know and carry in my wallet that I have a deathly reaction to the family of sulfa drugs. 

From my research, I have learned that most people take the full course of the antibiotic and do not start showing symptoms till days later. At that point it is irreversible and too late. This is why I feel lucky. I was able to catch it early, stop taking the drug and have time to flush it out of my system this week. 

Good news is that within 48 hours the rash was nearly gone. I thought I was doing better till a fever of 101.6 struck me thursday evening and continued off and on till tonight (Friday) when it finally broke I think for good. Isaac said a fever is good, because that means my body is fighting the rest of the infection. Having a fever with no other illness like the flu is strange...but still just as miserable. 

I'm sitting in my bed typing this feeling much better, but still very weak and tired. I hope I am on the mend. All I can think is thank you Jesus for saving me. 

I cried one day thinking about what I was spared from. I have been through a lot with my health problems, but this really made me realize how much worse it could be. And I feel so blessed for the life I have. 

All thanks goes to Jesus my loving Father. I do not know why he spares some and not others. But I do know he has a purpose for all of us. And I know he never turns His back on those who love Him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment