Saturday, April 27, 2013

The Impact of Sharing My Story

Well, I am 7 days away from my first Crohn's and Colitis Fundraiser on May 4 here in OKC. I'm pretty excited about it. By choosing to participate in this process, I have already met more people than I imagined who have Crohn's disease like me. Not only have I met people who I can relate to, my team has also raised more than 1,500 dollars! That went over our my initial goal! I am so thankful for all the generosity and support that has come my way.

I was blessed with an opportunity at work that helped spread awareness and raised funds for my team. Chesapeake came to me and asked if they could put my personal story out on it's employee home page. At first, I was overwhelmed with the idea of sharing my story with all thousands of employees who work for Chesapeake across the United States. I had no idea what kind of response I would get. But I decided to do it. I thought if I want to meet more people like me, raise awareness and understanding of my illness, then I must take this opportunity. And I am so glad that I did!

The week the story was posted, I received so many emails, prayers and donations! I have made some friends and increased my confidence in sharing my story. It is important to be heard, speak up and to educate. It is important for me and it is important for those who do not know. I learned that my voice and my story made a difference. It touched others. People who suffer from any type of illness shouldn't have to suffer alone. We need support. We need each other.

~

This last week was not a great one for me. I did not feel great. Spent quite a bit of time in the bathroom with more loss of blood than I like and spent a lot of time curled up on the couch or my bed. My headaches has increased as well. I believe I not only am getting migraine headaches, but also something called cluster headaches. My joints in my hands have been really achy. Some of my fingers are so sore I cannot pick up a bowl with one hand. I have a doctor's appointment next week. I am feeling better this weekend so far, and I sure hope this next week I feel good!

Please be praying for me!

If you would like to donate to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation please follow the link below.

http://online.ccfa.org/site/TR/SpecialEvents/Chapter-NorthTexas?px=2773189&pg=personal&fr_id=3890

No comments:

Post a Comment