Sunday, April 28, 2013

Primary Care Physician Problems

Recently, I found out that my primary care physician will not be accepting my health insurance as of July 2013. This is really difficult news for me, because I have had a hard time finding someone covered under my insurance who I like, who spends enough time with me when I do not feel well and who can manage my health well without being rushed. Doctor's are very busy these days, and it is difficult to find one who is thorough and does not rush through each patient. I am not a "5-minute" patient.

After I got over the initial shock of the letter I received in the mail, I have just been thinking about it. No need to rush into finding someone new. I still have time. I know God will take care of me and find me someone who can help manage my health well. I am just going to be praying about this. If you have any suggestions for me of anyone in the Edmond/OKC area, please let me know.

After switching GI doctors a year ago, I really have grown to like my GI doctor and her nurse. They know me by name, always call me back promptly and spend an adequate amount of time with me with I come in for my appointments. She is very thorough and always seems positive that I will reach remission someday soon and that there will be a cure in my lifetime. I like that about her. She is good about managing my drugs and getting me what I need. This is what I need in a PCP as well.

My last appointment with my GI went well. I have officially been off of Endocort (a low dosage steroid that I have been on since diagnosis) for nearly a month now. That feel so nice to be rid of a drug! I am now in the slow process of weening off of Pentasa, an anti inflammatory drug that I have been on since diagnosis. She says hopefully my body will only need Cimzia, but we will see how I do while weening off Pentasa. I have seen a small increase in symptoms since the start of my ween. If symptoms continue or get worse, I will stop the weening.

Managing drugs and symptoms is still such a new and overwhelming thing for me. I hope I get better at it as time goes by. Or better yet, I hope I just get better in general! I hope as I continue to feel better that my energy increases. I'm 26 years old, I really would like more energy to be able to enjoy more activities in a day.

1 comment:

  1. I used to see Dr. Eileen West before moving to Oregon. She is in Edmond on Eastern between Memorial and 33rd. I really loved her because she spends as much time as you need with her. She never made me feel rushed, and she wanted to make sure that all my questions were answered before letting me leave. In addition, she is just a very caring individual who wants to provide the best medical care that she can. Consequently, be aware that she is constantly running late, so bring a good book with you.
    -Laura Geczy

    ReplyDelete